missbrauchen: to abuse (in the sense of "misuse" or "cruelly misuse"; not in the sense of "insult")
|Examples and Usage Notes||Mnemonics|
|Zurück zur Vokabelliste|
- "Missbrauchen" means abuse in the sense of using something in a manner inconsistent with the intended use (for objects as well as things like power and wealth)
- "Missbrauchen" also means sexually abuse (especially children)
- "Abuse" in the sense of insult is beleidigen.
- "Missbrauchen" cannot be used to mean "overuse," or "use carelessly and destructively." You would use a descriptive phrase to convey this.
|Er missbraucht die Pillen.||He is abusing the pills.|
|Das Klonen könnte leicht missbraucht werden.||Cloning could easily be abused.|
|Wer Kinder missbraucht, muß lange ins Gefängnis.||Anyone who sexually abuses children hast to go to
prison for a long time.
|Hör auf, mich zu beleidigen!||Stop abusing me!|
|Der Kopierer ist kaputt, weil man ihn zu oft benutzt hat.||The copier is broken because it was abused [overused].|
|Er geht mit seinen Sachen so brutal um, daß alles kaputtgeht.||He abuses his things so much [uses them so destructively],
that they all break.
- "miss-" sounds like "mis-" as in "misuse"; you know "brauchen" means "to need," but it also means "to use"; you could also notice that "brauchen" sounds a bit like "break," and breaking something would perhaps be a way of misusing it...