Information and Troubleshooting Advice for the Online Exercises
- If you score below 80%, and/or if you're not satisfied with your score, you can try the exercise again as often as you like. When you're satisfied with your score, click on the "Submit Score" button and fill in the requested information. If you like, you can submit your results more than once (e.g. if you submit your result, then decide later to try again).
- You need to submit a score of 80% or above to get a "check" for this assignment. If you submit a score below 80%, you will get a "check minus" for this assignment.
- You will be asked 20 questions. IF YOU GET A QUESTION WRONG, KEEP TRYING UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT. THE PROGRAM WILL ONLY CALCULATE YOUR SCORE IF YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THE QUESTIONS. Incorrect guesses will reduce your score.
- Note the feedback that appears in the feedback box at the top of the page! Sometimes the feedback is generic ("Well done" or "Sorry, please try again"), but more often it tells you more about why the answer you selected is right or wrong.
- If nothing happens when you click "Submit Score," make sure you've enabled popups for this page. If you're still not able to get the "Submit" function to work, follow these instructions for submitting a screen shot of your result. Make sure the screen shot shows your score, which appears in the feedback box at the top of the page. If you continue to have problems with the "Submit" function, try using a different computer and/or a different browser to see if that helps!
- If your score is "0" when you click "Submit Score," it means you did not answer all 20 questions correctly. Close the "submit" box [but not the webpage with the exercise you just did!!!], and scroll through the page (if all questions appeared on one screen) or use the arrows (if each question appeared on a new page) to go back through the 20 questions to find the question(s) you did not answer correctly. Keep trying it/them until you get the right answer. Click on "Submit" again, and you should now see a reasonable score. Note that your score will not always be 100%, since the program subtracts points for incorrect guesses.
- "Sorry, you have exceeded 3 attempts from.... Please try again later." If you receive this error message (click the link to see a sample image), submit a screenshot showing your score on the activity (see instructions above). You have four options for removing the block: 0. Wait three days for the block to be removed automatically. 1. Send an email to email@example.com asking for your IP address (listed in the error message) to be unblocked. You will usually receive a quick response during business hours. 2. Set up a connection to the University of Michigan’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) - click the link to access info and instructions. This generates a unique IP address each time you use it. Note that a VPN connection is also a useful secure browsing option e.g. if you are on a public network. 3. Use a computer in a different location with a different IP address. Note that sometimes the network in a condo building is configured so that each user is assigned the same public-facing IP address, in which case just trying again from a different apartment would not work. Such a configuration would also explain why you may receive the "exceeded 3 attempts" error message even though you only made one attempt - i.e. the server may have counted other attempts from the same building.
- If you continue to have problems, please email Hartmut with a specific description of your problem (e.g. what exactly is happening, what browser & operating system you're using, what you tried to do to fix the problem, whether you've experienced a similar problem in other contexts, etc.)