Final Role Play & Kothe-Hildner Prize – Deutsch 102
Towards the end of the semester, you will write and perform a final role play. The role play should demonstrate your ability to speak freely.
- 350 words of dialog (this also includes any lines spoken by the narrator(s))
- Groups of 3 or 4
- Grading Rubric
- Script and Content
- Your role-play can be about anything related to the themes or people that have come up in class (in Vorsprung, in Die Känguru-Chroniken, in the videos/film clips for this course, in the “Kultur” texts, in discussions in your section, etc.).
- EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: Please read and carefully follow these Guidelines for content of role-plays. Ask your instructor immediately if you’re in doubt as to whether something you’re planning to do is appropriate!!!
- Your final essay (Aufsatz 3) will be written by your group, and will consist of the script of your role play (==> 350 Wörter). The grade for this essay will be weighted equally for content and language, as usual.
- Comprehensibility (40% of the grade!): The role play should be performed, not read. The more you can perform from memory, the better. The more your eyes are on your script, and the less fluently/naturally you speak your lines, the harder it will to understand you, and your grade will suffer.
- We will not be looking for perfect memorization. We will be looking for you to know some of your lines, and to be able to say/read the remaining lines clearly in such a way that it’s evident that you have practiced them repeatedly out loud together (MORE than just two or three times!!!) and know what you’re saying 🙂
- The more you can help each other when problems come up during the performance, the better it will be for your grade, because that will make it clear that you rehearsed together and know each other’s parts 🙂
- If you’re good at memorizing lines and are able to perform your whole role play from memory, your instructor will be very impressed – and you will benefit a lot from learning that much correct German!
- Vocabulary List: Please email your instructor a list of words/expressions that will be helpful for your classmates, so they can understand your role play. Do this well before your performance!
- Only look up a word if you absolutely cannot simplify/rephrase your dialogue in order to avoid it. The more words you look up, the harder it will be for you to perform the role play!!
- Grading details in case a group member does not contribute equally:
- Your grade for Aufsatz 3 will be
- an “E” if you do not contribute to the essay
- a “C-” if you do contribute, but not in a timely manner.
- Your grade for the role play will be
- an “E” if you do not participate in your group’s rehearsals
- a “C-” if you do participate, but not reliably.
- The above grades (or other such grade modifications) will be given based on the consensus of your group.
- If you anticipate a problem, please notify your group and your instructor promptly!
- Your grade for Aufsatz 3 will be
- Kothe-Hildner Prize for Best Final Role play in German 102/103 (Fall & Winter semesters only)
- Each Fall and Winter semester, a Kothe-Hildner Prize of $200 is awarded to the group of students performing the best final role-play in German 102/103. Instructors of each section will nominate the best role-play(s) from their section to compete for this prize. The competition is often held at 10 a.m. or 3 p.m. on the day after the last day of classes ==> please try to keep these times free if you can!