Deutsch 103 Aufsatz 1
Aufsatz 1 Grading Rubrics:
Click here to download the rubrics your instructor will use to grade your essay. This will give you a clearer idea of what to strive for in terms of content and language.
Aufsatz 1 Logistics:
- 125-150 Wörter
- Please DOUBLE SPACE your essay!
- Please give a word count for your essay (z.B.: Wortzahl: 135)
- Leaf through the book to look for ideas: you can be very creative with the language we've learned so far! [Do this when you prepare your test essays, too!] Try to avoid saying things you haven't learned the German for yet.
- ==> Just use the present tense!
- See the specific suggestions below describing things we have learned how to say!
- Do NOT write your essay in English and then translate it into German: this is very hard work, and produces very poor results!
Write one paragraph about yourself AND one paragraph about one of your friends or family members. Don't worry at this point about producing a great piece of writing; just focus on clearly communicating some things about yourself and the other person. Ideen:
- Describe yourself; describe them; say what you (don't) like to wear [==> tragen] and what they like (don't like) to wear [just name one or two simple items; feel free to lie to keep it simple - e.g. Jeans, Shorts, Turnschuhe, Flip-Flops, T-Shirts, Panchero's T-Shirts, Pullis [=sweaters], Baseballkappen]
- What do you like to eat/drink? What do they like to eat/drink? [ich esse gern X, aber ich esse lieber Y; er/sie/they isst viel X, aber er/sie/they isst nicht so viel Y...]
- Say some things you do / things you like to do, and some things they do / like to do, using verbs like fahren, sprechen, spielen, hören, lesen....
- Say some things you or they know (or don't know) a lot about [==> Ich verstehe (nicht) viel von _____; Er/Sie/They versteht (nicht) viel von _____]
- If you can think of something fun/funny to say about yourself or about them using the German we've learned so far, that might be a good way to end each paragraph.
Additional Advice for Aufsatz 1:
Click here for some additional advice for this essay!