- Conversation Opportunities - Conversation Hours, German Lab
- Virtual International Summer Internships and Funding for them - Study Abroad/Internships/Scholarship Info
- Study Abroad, Internships, Scholarship Deadlines - Study Abroad/Internships/Scholarship Info
- Advising Info - German Courses & Majoring/Minoring in German
- Conversation Partner Options - Miscellaneous
- International Center Global Engagement and Education Abroad email list - Miscellaneous
- Student Resources for Learning Remotely; Virtual BlueCorps office hours for students - Miscellaneous
- Study Advice: "Adjusting Your Study Habits During COVID" - Miscellaneous
- Finding German Films and Series Online - Miscellaneous
Virtual German Conversation Hour
LRC Conversation Partner Site
Go to this page to sign up or find a conversation partner. Please notify the LRC if you notice problems (e.g. outdated records etc.). Don't be shy: the more people sign up, the better the site will work!
Ann Arbor Stammtisch
- We assume Stammtisch is on hiatus for now. Please let us know if you have information about virtual meetings of the Stammtisch, so we can include it here!
- A German Stammtisch meets once a week, usually on Thursdays at 8:00 pm at Grizzly Peak or another bar near Main Street. Join the email list to stay up-to-date on where and when the group will meet.
- There's also a facebook page: look for "German Table / Stammtisch"
- Alternatively, contact Mechthild Heerde-Olind at email@example.com for the current location and for more information.
- This is NOT something you can do to make up an absence, but you can still go for fun and/or write about it for an AMD.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get put on the email list, or "like" the club on Facebook at facebook.com/germanclubumich for updates!
Faculty Advisors Mary Rodena-Krasan & Kalli Federhofer
Contact our two faculty advisors, Mary or Kalli, for advice on study abroad, internships abroad, a German major/minor, upper-level German courses, career opportunities in German, study-abroad and work-abroad opportunities, etc.
- Mary and Kalli will advise you remotely. Email them or see the info below to find out whether/when they are available to advise you in Spring/Summer.
- Mary Rodena-Krasan (email@example.com):
- Please send Mary an email if you want to set up an appointment.
- Karl-Georg Federhofer (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Kalli's available office hours this week:
Monday, July 27: 8-5 p.m.,Tuesday, July 28: 12-1:30; 3-5 p.m.,Wednesday, July 29: 8-4 p.m.,Thursday, July 30: 8-5 p.m.,Friday, July 31: 8-5 p.m.,and by appointmentKalli's Zoom Link for Office Hours: https://umich.zoom.us/
- Kalli's available office hours this week:
- To reach either advisor: email@example.com
- You can also schedule appointments with Mary & Kalli by clicking here
- ...and you can contact Kalli via text message (734-277-7341) or via Facebook (Kalli Federhofer)
German Peer Advisors/Mentors
If you would like to get in touch with a peer mentor in our Department, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Their expertise includes:
- Current classes and potential courses
- Study abroad, internship, and traveling in Germany
- Academic requirements (major/minor, LSA language requirement) and combination (engineering, pre-health, etc.)
- Max Kade House
- Departmental scholarships/fellowships
- On- and off-campus German opportunities (German Club, German Day, etc.)
- Career/job search
- Getting involved - enhancing your undergraduate experience with the German Department
- Winter 2021 Term in Tübingen (Tuesday, September 15; Application Deadline)
- Virtual International Summer Internships:
- The LSA Opportunity Hub is now listing their summer virtual internship opportunities! Positions include internships in website marketing & content creation, virtual programming, marketing communications, event coordination, fundraising & grants, international undergraduate recruitment, investments, and more. Apply through the LSA Opportunity Network and make sure to check the application deadline for each position.
- The International Center has compiled a database of education abroad providers that are offering virtual international internships during the summer. Many of these virtual internships have flexible start dates and durations, and some give you the opportunity to receive credit. If you have questions about these virtual internships, you can schedule an appointment with the International Center or email email@example.com.
- Funding up to $5,000 for virtual internships is available through the LSA Opportunity Hub
- German Bundestag Internship Program 2021 (Friday, July 31; Application Deadline)
- Fulbright U.S. Student Program 2021-2022 (Friday, August 28; University of Michigan Campus Application Deadline)
- Metropolitan Studies in Berlin - Winter 2021 (Tuesday, September 15; Application Deadline)
- LSA Internship Funding Page
This page will only include entries in this category when there is a job/internship etc. aimed at German students at all levels. To see more internship and job opportunities, scroll through Kalli's blog, addressed to all upper-level German students
There are two German Department facebook groups:
- "German Advising at University of Michigan" [Read news here!]
- Join this group to see much of the information you see in this email, as well as other relevant info, in the form of individual announcement posts.
- "German Program at University of Michigan - Vorwärts Blau!" [Post things here!]
- You are encouraged to join this group to in order to read and post interesting/fun items related to German language and culture. If you have trouble joining the group or posting something, please email Hartmut!
AND there is a German Department facebook page. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/umichGerman/
You can find weekly updates similar to this email but with lots more content on this blog.
We also encourage you to join us on our LinkedIn site: 'University of Michigan German Department'
You can also follow us on Twitter: @umichGerman
Conversation Partner Options: Various options for finding conversation partners are listed on this page.
Sign up here for the International Center's Global Engagement and Education Abroad email list. Weekly emails include info on workshops regarding travel and work abroad, conversation groups, cultural info sessions etc. SEHR interessant!
Study Advice: "Adjusting Your Study Habits During COVID"
- If you are looking for ways to structure studying under these new circumstances, here is some great advice for adjusting your study habits. VIELEN Dank to the German Club's Paul Chamberlain for finding this. It is full of excellent advice. I am a big fan of the "Pomodoro method" for focussed "mono-tasking."
Student Resources for Learning Remotely; Virtual BlueCorps office hours for students
- LSA Technology has created this Teaching and Learning Remotely Student Resources page.
- BlueCorps is providing face-to-face virtual office hours for students Monday-Friday, 10am to 4pm. Students can drop in by clicking on this link. BlueCorps is also available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finding German Films and Series
- Check the Telescope website for info on German films and series worth watching, including trailers and details on where they are available online.
- Here is a survey of German film series that you can watch in the US, compiled by the Goethe Insitute.
- Here is another list of German television and shows available on Netflix and Amazon Prime. The rankings seem arbitrary, but the descriptions and availability info are very helpful.