The Summer semester has ended, so there will be no more Summer Deutschtische. Schokoladenstunde and Max Kade Kaffeestunde & Deutschtisch will resume in the Fall!
The German Park is open on Saturday, 8/31, 4-9 p.m., 5549 Pontiac Trail)
As this recent news article states "Germany has become the most popular country in the world for foreign students in the non-English-speaking world." You may want to consider studying abroad in Tübingen (Winter 2020) or Freiburg (2020/2021) through one of our study-abroad programs.
If you are a German language enthusiast, you can explore the German Language Trail (Straße der deutschen Sprache) one day.
Other highlights from this week's email, and what section to check for more details:
- International Center Work Study Position for Fall/Winter (deadline: Wed 8/21/19) - Upcoming Deadlines and Events
- Paid sales/marketing internships for Summer 2020 with Estrel Hotel & Conference Center in Berlin - Study Abroad/Internships/Scholarship Info
- Study Abroad, Internships, Scholarship Deadlines - Upcoming Deadlines and Events AND Study Abroad/Internships/Scholarship Info
- Daimler Powertrain internship (deadline: 9/6/19) - Upcoming Deadlines and Events
- Amadeus (1984) - Film with Live Orchestra at Hill Aud 9/15 - Local Events and Opportunities
- Conversation Partner Options - Miscellaneous
- Germanic Dept Photo Contest - Miscellaneous
- Deutsche Welle: KalenderBlatt - Miscellaneous
- "lyricstraining" site - Miscellaneous
The CGIS application portal for studying during Winter 2020 in Tübingen is open. The application deadline will be on Sunday, September 15.
Sign up here for the International Center's Global Engagement and Education Abroad email list. Weekly emails include info on workshops regarding travel and work abroad, conversation groups, cultural info sessions etc. SEHR interessant!
A selection of 48 great German movies is available until Nov. 30, 2019, to watch for free online via Kanopy. Click here for details about watching these German movies for free.
- Job Posting: International Center Work Study Position as Student Services Assistant for Fall and Winter (Wednesday, August 21; Application Deadline)
- Fulbright U.S. Student Program 2020-2021 (Friday, August 30; University of Michigan Campus Application Deadline)
- German Bundestag Internship Program 2020 (Saturday, August 31; Extended Application Deadline)
- Internship Posting: Powertrain Calibration Internship for Daimler in Redford, MI (Friday, September 6; Application Deadline)
The Summer Deutschtische have ended. Schokoladenstunde and Max Kade Kaffeestunde & Deutschtisch will resume in the Fall!
LRC Conversation Partner Site
Go to this page to sign up or find a conversation partner. Please notify the LRC if you notice problems (e.g. outdated records etc.). Don't be shy: the more people sign up, the better the site will work!
Ann Arbor Stammtisch
- A German Stammtisch meets once a week, usually on Thursdays at 8:00 pm at Grizzly Peak or another bar near Main Street. Join the email list to stay up-to-date on where and when the group will meet.
- There's also a facebook page: look for "German Table / Stammtisch"
- Alternatively, contact Andy Kasten at firstname.lastname@example.org for the current location and for more information. Wherever the Stammtisch meets, he'll be wearing a VfB Stuttgart soccer jersey -- Debitel on the front, Bordon #5 on the back. It's white with a red collar and stripes.
- This is NOT something you can do to make up an absence, but you can still go for fun and/or write about it for an AMD.
German Club events will resume in the Fall!
Questions/Comments: email Parker Hill (email@example.com)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get put on the email list, or "like" the club on Facebook at facebook.com/germanclubumich for updates!
Please note that by attending German Club meetings, you can make up "A&P" points in German 101-232. Just ask one of the German Club officers to email your instructor (or write a note) saying you were there!
Faculty Advisors Mary Rodena-Krasan & Kalli Federhofer
Contact our two faculty advisors, Mary or Kalli, for advice on study abroad, internships abroad, a German major/minor, upper-level German courses, career opportunities in German, study-abroad and work-abroad opportunities, etc. They have frequent office hours in Fall/Winter, but more limited availability in Spring/Summer. Please use the email info or the link below to contact them!
- Mary Rodena-Krasan (MLB 3128; email@example.com)
- Karl-Georg Federhofer (MLB 3422; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Kalli's next office hours will take place on these days:
Tuesday, August 27: 11-2:30 p.m.,Wednesday, August 28: 11-2:30 p.m.,Thursday, August 29: 11-2:30 p.m.,Friday, August 30: 11-2:30 p.m.,
- Kalli's next office hours will take place on these days:
- To reach either advisor: email@example.com
- Kalli is currently out of town, but you can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a Skype or phone conversation
- You can also schedule appointments with Mary & Kalli by clicking here
German Peer Advisors/Mentors
If you would like to get in touch with a peer mentor in our Department, please write to: email@example.com. Their availability may be limited in the summer! The peer mentors' expertise includes:
- Current classes and potential courses
- Study abroad, internship, and traveling in Germany
- Academic requirements (major/minor, LSA language requirement) and combination (engineering, pre-health, etc.)
- Max Kade House
- Departmental scholarships/fellowships
- On- and off-campus German opportunities (German Club, German Day, etc.)
- Career/job search
- Getting involved - enhancing your undergraduate experience with the German Department
- Study Abroad in Germany - Winter 2020 Term in Tübingen (Sunday, September 15; Application Deadline)
- LSA Internship Funding Page
- Internship Recruiting Session for Summer 2020: Estrel Berlin, Hotel & Conference Center (Send resume to Kalli by 9/4; Session takes place Friday, 9/6; 5:30-7 p.m., 555 Weiser Hall)
- Study Abroad in Germany - Metropolitan Studies in Berlin (Sunday, September 15; Application Deadline)
- Fund for Education Abroad Winter 2020 Scholarships (Tuesday, September 10, 12 p.m.; Application Deadline)
[This page will only include entries in this category when there is a job/internship etc. aimed at German students at all levels. To see more internship and job opportunities, scroll through Kalli's blog, addressed to all upper-level German students]
There are two German Department facebook groups:
- "German Advising at University of Michigan" [Read news here!]
- Join this group to see much of the information you see in this email, as well as other relevant info, in the form of individual announcement posts.
- "German Program at University of Michigan - Vorwärts Blau!" [Post things here!]
- You are encouraged to join this group to in order to read and post interesting/fun items related to German language and culture. If you have trouble joining the group or posting something, please email Hartmut!
AND there is a German Department facebook page. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/umichGerman/
You can find weekly updates similar to this email but with lots more content on this blog.
We also encourage you to join us on our LinkedIn site: 'University of Michigan German Department'
You can also follow us on Twitter: @umichGerman
Conversation Partner Options: Various options for finding conversation partners are listed on this page.
Germanic Department Photo Contest (Sunday, September 15; Application Deadline)
Deutsche Welle: KalenderBlatt
For each day of the year, the KalenderBlatt page provides a (short) selection of important anniversaries and birthdays, with links to more information. This is a fun and easy way to practice your German and learn a bit about what events and people German speakers consider important.
The Lyrics Training app and website allows users to practice their foreign language skills by filling in the blanks of lyrics to popular music videos. Start by choosing German from the "languages" menu.